Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Tips for Beginners

Term Time of the Summer Semester 2020: 14 April to 18 July

The start of the lecture period is postponed to 20.04.2020.

Due to the risk assessment of the State of Berlin on Corona/COVID-19, the decision of the Governing Mayor of March 11, 2020, and the resulting decision of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, we unfortunately have to cancel all central orientation events for this summer semester.

What is to be done after enrolment?

Orientation within university:

Please search on the website of your faculty, department or institute or on the students-portal for subject-related information on the start of studies in the summer semester 2020.

What materials do you need to prepare for the semester?

  • Study and examination regulations for your degree programme(s) with module descriptions and ideal-typical study plans, which give you advice on how to structure your studies and how to build your timetable, can be found on the websites of faculties, departments or institutes. Those already published in the Amtliches Mitteilungsblatt der Humboldt-Universität can be downloaded from hu.berlin/spo. Please refer to the most recent study regulations for your subject. Students with the option of a teaching profession (except for primary school education) also require the study regulations for the study parts Education Sciences and Language Education (www.amb.hu-berlin.de, Nr. 80/2015).

Note on timetable creation

At the university there are usually no predefined "timetables", i.e. each student creates an individual plan independently. If you have not been able to attend a subject-related orientation event:

  • Please check the website of your institute or faculty first to see if there are any hints for first semester students.
  • With the help of your study regulation(s) (see Ideal Typical Study Plans at the end of the module descriptions) you can find out which modules are recommended for the 1st summer-semester.
  • If you are studying a combined Bachelor's degree, you will need the study regulations for the core subject and the second subject.
  • You can find out from the individual module descriptions whether there is a prerequisite for participation.
  • If this is not the case, check which types of courses belong to the corresponding modules and what time frame they have (see specification of SWS = semester week hour = hour of academic teaching in each week of the semester).
  • Finally, log into the portal "Agnes - Study and Examination Online" with your HU account and select your subject in the course catalogue first and then the modules recommended in the study regulations.
  • Then choose the number of courses specified in the module description for your timetable, register for them and transfer them to your personal timetable.
  • Each semester you should take modules of about 30 credit points (LP).
  • The Agnes Help Center also offers useful information.

Who can help me?

The Course Advisors (Studienfachberatung) can help in matters related to a particular course as well as with planning lectures and classes in the first semester. Addresses, telephone numbers and office hours can be found also in the relevant websites and course catalogues of the faculties, departments and institutes.

Advice of fellow students (studentische Studienfachberatung) can be helpful as well. Most faculties, departments and institutes offer subject-related peer counselling, or the Fachschaft (student representation) will help you.

Computer and Media Service of Humboldt-Universität: HU account, Campus Card, course catalogue, HU mail, computer labs, WLAN, eLearning (Moodle), exam registration, see Agnes - Studium und Lehre online with Help-center as well as information of Immatrikulationsbüro

If technical problems occur when registering for courses: agnes@hu-berlin.de.

The Service for teacher training students of the Professional School of Education (PSE) offers advice on specific questions of teacher training.

The Career Center provides counselling on practice-related courses.

If support is needed because of disability or chronical illness, advice will be given by the Disability Advisory Service.

Tips and support for parent students (child care) can be found at hu.berlin/familienbuero.

For social counselling the contact is www.refrat.de/beratung.html.

If attendance of language courses is sought the Language Centre offers plenty of courses, and if you wish to register with the University Library, just click at hu.berlin/ub. If you want to make music in the company of other students, you will be helped at hu.berlin/musik, and if you want to go in for sports, www.zeh.hu-berlin.de/ is a useful link.

Contact for further concerns


Version: 16 March, 2020