Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

How to apply

Welcome at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. This information may help you with application. Information as from January 20, 2020.

With effect of March 20, Humboldt-Universität, like any other science and research institution of the city of Berlin, changes into the so-called emergency presence mode. All university buildings remain locked. Access is restricted to those employees who are responsible for securing systemic relevant areas. All other members of the university are fulfilling their official duties in the home office as far as possible. All consultation hours (in person or by phone), events and guided tours are cancelled. You can reach us by e-mail, we are working on a phone service. We ask you to assume that answers will be delayed. We hope that we are able to provide you with a full service again soon. Please inform yourself regularly at https://hu.berlin/corona.

Application periods

The application periods may change. Please check out the timetable.


Please take a look in the course catalogue to find out what you can study at Humboldt. If you want to study medicine, dentistry or medical education please contact Charite.

How and where to apply

Applicants, with university entrance qualifications acquired abroad, submit their application to uni-assist for a preliminary check. Please check in any way the appropriate way of applying: https://hu.berlin/bewerbungscheck. Detailed information for prospective students you can find in this document: engl-assist.pdf.

You always apply online, either at Humboldt or at uni-assist. You can apply within the application periods. Please check our information on "Dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren", if you want to apply for a course that will be allocated by hochschulstart.de. An overview of the number of applications you can find in this figure.

German school leaving certificate/university entrance qualificationy

If you have a German school leaving certificate (Abitur), you can apply directly at Humboldt. You can make three applications and mong these one application for a higher semester.

  • At first you have to register at studienplatz.hu-berlin.de
  • Please check your data at the end of your application.
  • Please send in the documents that are listed at the end of your application in the "Online-Status". These documents must be at Humboldt at the end of the application periods. Please note that we have to receive them; the date stamp is not relevant.
University entrance qualification within the EU and EEA

If you have a school leaving certificate you made within the EU or EEA, you can apply at uni-assist. You can make three applications and among these one application for a higher semester.

Please follow the instructions at uni-assist.

University entrance qualification outside of the EU and EEA

If you have a school leaving certificate you made outside of the EU or EEA, you can apply at uni-assist. You can make one application, either for the first or a higher semester.

Please follow the instructions at uni-assist.

  • Mono-bachelor: You study one subject.
  • Combined bachelor: You study two subjects.
  • B.A./M.A. = Bachelor/Master of Arts (humanities, cultural studies)
  • B.Sc./M.Sc. = Bachelor/Master of Science (natural sciences, Psychology either)
  • M.Ed. = Master of Education (if you want to become a teacher)
Contact and Questions

If you have any question concerning your application please contact Compass (see below). Within the application and admission periods we have a lot of work. Please be patient if all lines are busy. We will answer your question as soon as possible.


The Compass Hotline:
Phone: +4930 2093-70333
Mail: Contact form

With sending an email you agree that your data is processed by an electronic ticketing system (OTRS). Please note the information: https://otrs.hu-berlin.de/hinweis.html