Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Invalidenstraße 43

Museum of Natural History: Leibniz Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity Science at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

This history of the Museum of Natural History is closely linked to that of Humboldt-Universität. When the university was founded in Berlin in 1810, three new museums were created for educational and research purposes: the Anatomical-Zootomical Museum, the Mineralogical Museum and the Zoological Museum. These collections were housed in the university’s main building until 1889. Expeditions, donations and purchases all meant that the collections continued to grow, so it was decided to establish a new museum. August Tiede designed a three-winged complex in French Renaissance and Baroque styles for the site at Invalidenstraße 43.

Invalidenstraße 43
Figure: Martin Ibold

The building now contains more than 30 million objects, including the largest assembled dinosaur skeleton in the world, Brachiosaurus brancai. The museum has been a member of the Leibniz Association and an independent institution since 2009.

Facility

Adress

Invalidenstraße 43
10115 Berlin