Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Invalidenstraße 42

Faculty of Life Sciences

This building, constructed in 1876-1881 for the Royal Agricultural University, is now home to the Faculty of Life Sciences, which was established in 2014. The teaching and research undertaken at the Faculty are primarily orientated to the natural sciences, but they also draw on economic, social science and medical approaches.

The Faculty’s three departments – the Thaer Institute, the Department of Psychology and the Department of Biology – share common profile areas incorporating the topics of ‘Plants, Environment, Urbanity’ and ‘Nutrition, Behaviour, Health’. The research and teaching undertaken there ranges from molecular building blocks to microbial, vegetable, animal and human organisms, and includes how they interact with their habitat and environment. The Faculty comprises around 5,000 students, 52 regular professors and around 250 employees.

Invalidenstraße 42
Figure: Martin Ibold

Albrecht Daniel Thaer-Institute of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences

The Thaer Institute is located next to the Museum of Natural History. It owes its name to the founder of modern agricultural sciences, who taught here during the university’s founding years. A monument to Albrecht Daniel Thaer (1752-1828) stands in the building’s covered atrium.

The Institute’s teaching and research helps to solve the fundamental nutrition, development and resource issues of agriculture in a modern but conflict-ridden world. It combines fundamental research with practicable solutions for plant and animal production, agricultural and horticultural use systems, environmental protection and political advice from the regional and global perspectives. The Institute also includes the Berlin-Dahlem Scientific Complex and the Thyrow Research Station (near Trebbin).

Facilities

Adress

Invalidenstraße 42
10115 Berlin