Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Instructions for Enrolment

Which documents do I have to submit for enrollment?


All documents to be submitted are displayed in the online application portal in the online status query under the menu item Nachweise. An overview pdf is also available for download at this point. Please note the instructions on the form of the documents to be submitted and be sure to comply with them (original, simple copy, etc.).


How do I receive the application for enrollment?


You must first submit a declaration of acceptance of the study place online. The cut off deadline for study place acceptance is displayed exclusively in the online application portal. Please note, if you don't accept the study place within the deadline, the enrollment is excluded.

After the declaration of acceptance of the study place, you will receive the application for enrollment via the online status query. The submission of the enrollment application also has a deadline. Please note, if enrollment is not applied for in writing within the deadline specified for this purpose, it is excluded.

The signed application for enrollment as well as the required documents must be received by Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin by the end of the relevant application period (cut-off deadline). The actual date of receipt and not the date of the postmark is decisive here.


Can I also send in only part of the documents to be submitted and submit missing copies etc. later?


With the application for enrollment, all required documents must be submitted by (regular) mail in full and on time. Subsequent submissions will only be accepted in justified exceptional cases after consultation with the Admissions Office.

Please follow the steps outlined in the answer to the question "What documents do I need to submit for enrollment". Use the overview pdf ("Liste herunterladen") available in the online status inquiry as an additional checklist, as it describes exactly what needs to be submitted and in what form.


What happens if I do not meet the enrollment deadline?


If enrollment is not requested in writing with the appropriate documentation by the deadline specified for this purpose, it will be disqualified. The number of permissible enrollment applications is one.


In order to prove my health insurance status, I have requested electronic notification (SMV) from a public health insurance company. The online status inquiry still shows the proof as missing. What can I do?


Contact a statutory health insurance company of your choice immediately after you have been admitted to an admission-restricted degree program or have applied for an admission-free degree program. We have described how to proceed on this website. You must ensure that you apply for electronic notification within the enrollment period.

Should the electronic notification (SMV) only be received after the enrollment deadline (cut-off deadline), enrollment will be carried out after notification of the health insurance company. It is a condition that all other documents and proofs have been received in due form and time. A separate request for an extension of the enrollment deadline for this reason is not necessary.
Please note: If we still have not received an electronic notification by the start of lectures at the latest and you cannot prove that you have initiated this with a health insurance company in due time, enrollment is excluded.

We receive a daily update from the health insurance companies, so any missing verification will automatically change to "geprüft, vollständig" status during the morning. If, after three to five working days, you notice that a proof is still shown as missing despite notification to the health insurance company, please contact the health insurance company with your admission notice so that the correctness of the data can be checked and, if necessary, the notification can be initiated again.


 Can I submit the original documents?


No, please do not send us original certificates under any circumstances. You will need these for your further professional life. Documents will not be returned and cannot be reclaimed. For enrollment in a degree program at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, you usually need simple copies of the certificates.


Can I also send the documents to the Admissions Office as an e-mail attachment?


No, this is not possible. In order to verify the authenticity of the documents, a paper submission is essential. Submissions by e-mail will not be accepted. Please note that a digital pre-submission has no effect on the specified submission deadlines (= exclusion deadlines).


Do I have to apply for a double degree if my eligibility for admission to an advanced degree program is based on an outstanding first professional degree?


There are basically three cases to distinguish:

  1. External students from another university: you should formally apply for a double degree program if you prefer not to exmatriculate at your previous university but would like to remain enrolled e.g. in the Bachelor's program. Please inform yourself about the consequences of exmatriculation or re-registration at your current university.

  2. Students at a Berlin-Brandenburg university: An application for a double degree program is also necessary if your admission to the consecutive program is based on an outstanding first university degree and you have already re-registered at your previous Berlin-Brandenburg university. In this case, we recommend applying for a double degree program, since enrollment and tuition fees, provided you are enrolled at a Berlin-Brandenburg university, only have to be paid once. You must indicate in the application at which of the two universities you wish to exercise your student rights.

  3. Students of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: If your admission rights are based on an missing first professional degree from Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, please skip the question about double studies in the enrollment application. You do not need to submit a formal application. All necessary information about your university affiliation and the current bachelor's degree program in which you are still enrolled are automatically stored in the database.


Can I have officially certified copies made at the Department of Student Affairs at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin?


No, the Department of Academic Affairs of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin does not issue officially certified copies. Since paper documents required for application and enrollment at HU are usually not to be submitted as official certifications, the Student Services Department does not offer a service for the certification of documents.

If necessary, please contact an office that is authorized to provide official certification.

These include
- State and municipal authorities,
- offices and municipal associations as well as
- legal entities under public law that are subject to other supervision by the state and are authorized to use an official seal (e.g. the school issuing the certificate, notaries, state insurance institutions and health insurance companies).

Basic information can be found in the Service Portal Berlin:

The use and recognition of German documents abroad is usually made dependent on an apostille or legalization of the documents by various countries. Students who have acquired their certificates and/or documents at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin can still have the authenticity of the document confirmed by legalization (pre-authentication) at the Examination Services Department:


Information according to EU-DSGVO


When contacting facilities of the study department, personal data are partly collected and processed. The processing of personal data, such as the name, address, e-mail address, or telephone number shall always be in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU-DSGVO) and in accordance with the Berlin Data Protection Act (BlnDSG). Further information on this, your rights and options can be found at