Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Tips for Beginners

Lecture period for the sommer semester 2021: April 12, 2021 - July 17, 2021

Study and teaching start in digital mode.

Current information: hu.berlin/corona

What is to be done after enrolment?

(see also: "Study Checklist")

Orientation within university

What orientation events are there?

Info videos on the start of studies (in German):

Wie beginne ich mein Studium an der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin?

Das Lehramtsstudium an der Humboldt-Universität

Studienorganisation an der Humboldt-Universität: IT-Dienste für Studierende

Wie erstelle ich meinen Stundenplan mit Agnes?

Welche Funktionen bietet Agnes?

Please also note the subject-related information on the start of studies in the summer semester 2021 on the websites of your faculty(ies) or institute(s).

The program of central and subject-related orientation events at the start of your studies is made available to you in the online status of your application and at: hu.berlin/welcome.

Information for International students

What materials do you need to prepare for the semester?

  • Study and examination regulations for your degree programme(s) with module descriptions and ideal-typical study plans, which give you advice on how to structure your studies and how to build your timetable, can be found on the websites of faculties, departments or institutes. Those already published in the Amtliches Mitteilungsblatt der Humboldt-Universität can be downloaded from hu.berlin/spo. Please refer to the most recent study regulations for your subject.

Students with the option of a teaching profession (except for primary school education) also require the study regulations for the study parts Education Sciences and Language Education (www.amb.hu-berlin.de, Nr. 80/2015).

Note on timetable creation

At the university there are usually no predefined "timetables", i.e. each student creates an individual plan independently.

  • Please check the website of your institute or faculty first to see if there are any hints for first semester students.
  • With the help of your study regulation(s) (see Ideal Typical Study Plans at the end of the module descriptions) you can find out which modules are recommended for the 1st summer-semester.

If there are amendment regulations, then the ideal-typical study plan can usually be found in the 1st version.

If enrolment in the first semester was exceptionally also possible in the summer semester, it is not always possible to guarantee a course of study according to the ideal course of study plans.

  • If you are studying a combined Bachelor's degree, you will need the study regulations for the core subject and the second subject.
  • You can find out from the individual module descriptions whether there is a prerequisite for participation.
  • If this is not the case, check which types of courses belong to the corresponding modules and what time frame they have (see specification of SWS = semester week hour = hour of academic teaching in each week of the semester).
  • Finally, log into the portal "Agnes - Study and Examination Online" with your HU account and select your subject in the course catalogue first and then the modules recommended in the study regulations. Here you will also find information whether digital course formats are to be expected.
  • Then choose the number of courses specified in the module description for your timetable, register for them and transfer them to your personal timetable.
  • Each semester you should take modules of about 30 credit points (LP).
  • The Agnes Help Center also offers useful information.
  • If you have any further questions, please contact the (student) course advisory service (see below).

Who can help me?

The Course Advisors (Studienfachberatung) can help in matters related to a particular course as well as with planning lectures and classes in the first semester. Addresses, telephone numbers and office hours can be found also in the relevant websites and course catalogues of the faculties, departments and institutes.

Advice of fellow students (studentische Studienfachberatung) can be helpful as well. Most faculties, departments and institutes offer subject-related peer counselling, or the Fachschaft (student representation) will help you.

Computer and Media Service of Humboldt-Universität: HU account, Campus Card, course catalogue, HU mail, computer labs, WLAN, eLearning (Moodle), exam registration, see Agnes - Studium und Lehre online with Help-center as well as information of Immatrikulationsbüro

If technical problems occur when registering for courses: agnes@hu-berlin.de.

The Service for teacher training students of the Professional School of Education (PSE) offers advice on specific questions of teacher training.

The Career Center provides counselling on practice-related courses.

If support is needed because of disability or chronical illness, advice will be given by the  Disability Advisory Service .

Tips and support for parent students (child care) can be found at hu.berlin/familienbuero.

For social counselling the contact is www.refrat.de/beratung.html.

If attendance of language courses is sought the Language Centre offers plenty of courses, and if you wish to register with the University Library, just click at hu.berlin/ub. If you want to make music in the company of other students, you will be helped at hu.berlin/musik, and if you want to go in for sports, www.zeh.hu-berlin.de/ is a useful link.

Contact for further concerns

Version: 10 March, 2021