Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Unter den Linden 6: Humboldt Universität zu Berlin main building

This main building, originally built between 1748 and 1766 as the prince’s palace, was granted to the university when it was founded in 1809-10.

Berlin University began its first semester with 256 students and 52 teachers. From 1828 to 1945, it bore the name ‘Königliche Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität zu Berlin’. The building was almost entirely destroyed during the Second World War, but by 1946 operations had partially resumed.

In 1949, the university was renamed after its founder Wilhelm - and his brother Alexander - von Humboldt, and the building was reconstructed according to historical records.

Unter den Linden Hauptgebäude
Figure: Heike Zappe

As well as housing the President’s Office and Administration, the Unter den Linden main building is now also home to the 750-seat Auditorium Maximum (the university’s largest lecture hall), a modern Student Service Centre, and the Departments of Philosophy, English/American Studies and Classical Archaeology.



Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin (postal address)
10117 Berlin (street address)