Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Unter den Linden 9 and 11: Altes Palais and former Governor’s Building

Faculty of Law

Carl Ferdinand Langhans, son of the architect and creator of the Brandenburg Gate, Carl Gotthard Langhans, designed the Altes Palais between 1834 and 1837 for use by Prince William as his city palace. The magnificent living and function rooms burned down during the Second World War. Between 1962 and 1964, the building was rebuilt for use by the Faculty of Law.

Altes Palais
Figure: Maria Friedrich

Students and lecturers of law also teach, learn and undertake research in the former Gouverneurshaus. Built in 1721, it served as Berlin’s city court from 1808 onwards. The building was torn down in 1960 as a result of damage sustained during the war and redevelopment. Four years later, the Baroque facade with its central avant-corps, balcony and crowned cartouche was reconstructed in a gap between the buildings on Unter den Linden.

Facility

Faculty of Law

Adress

Unter den Linden 9 & 11
10117 Berlin